A community institution

The Negaunee Public Library has been a part of the community for more than 100 years, offering a place to read, learn and play. (Photo by Joe Zyble)

By Deb Pascoe

For generations, Negaunee readers have found what they’ve been seeking—be it novels, newspapers, or nursery rhymes—at the Negaunee Public Library. Situated in the middle of downtown Negaunee, the library was founded in 1890 by a group of citizens who recognized the community’s need for ready access to reading materials, be it for education or for entertainment.

The original library was located in two upstairs rooms of Negaunee’s original city hall. It boasted a total of 2,227 books, all under the charge of Thomas Flynn, Negaunee’s first librarian. Though the town was small, the demand for reading material was not; the library’s circulation total for the year 1902 was 6,021 books.

Improvements were made to the small library in 1911. According to the Daily Mining Journal, the remodel promised “definite action to relieve the crowded conditions in the library rooms.” The project included tearing out the wall between the lobby and two storage rooms, and renovating the storage rooms. A large, arched doorway was built to connect the rooms with the lobby. The librarian’s counter was placed under the archway, accessible to patrons using either of the two new rooms…

To read the full story, please pick up a copy of this months Marquette Monthly at one of our distribution outlets.

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.